Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Coach Karma


Karma is something I've always believed in - if you do something nice for someone, it will pay off for you down the road. 

To the left is a photo of a Hess Express gas station in Tamarac, Fla. on the corner of Southgate Boulevard and University Drive.  If you would have told me that my good friend Goldy and I would ever have an encounter there that would be something we'll talk about 10, 20, and 30 years down the road, I would have originally said there's no way.

However, that's exactly what happened on the evening of Friday, May 7.  First, I must go back in time before I can go forward.

The Seminole Club of Broward County's yearly banquet with Florida State's head football coach was a date all South Florida boosters always circled.  For 34 years, Bobby Bowden packed the house and told jokes.  However, with new FSU Head Coach Jimbo Fisher on his first banquet tour, tickets were still in high demand because it would be his first speaking engagement as head coach in front of many boosters.  In addition, with rave reviews from other Seminole booster clubs across the state regarding his speeches, the interest was at an all-time high.

My buddy Goldy had purchased two tickets with the intent of taking his dad; however, a conflict came up for both of them and they were going to be out of town the day of the banquet.  Goldy offered me the tickets since he couldn't use them and I jumped at the chance.  I invited my friend Tony (@AbeFroman21) to join me.

On May 7, I was running low on gas as I approached Woodmont Country Club, but because I was afraid I was going to be late and I didn't want Tony not to be able to check-in, I arrived at the event practically on fumes decked out in a garnet FSU shirt.

Once inside, thanks to Tony's Iron Arrow Booster status, we were afforded the opportunity to take a photo with Coach Fisher and interact with him.

In my brief time with Coach Fisher, I told him I had seen Part 1 of a two-part article about him in the May 6 Palm Beach Post regarding his love of hunting (the second part runs May 13). He told me he hadn't read it yet but that he does love to hunt as much as the author of that story said.

We then sat down, enjoyed dinner, and around 8:15, Coach Fisher got up and spoke passionately about his new job, his expectations, and took questions and answers from the crowd.  After 45 minutes, he received a standing ovation and the event started to wrap-up.

While most stayed for a few minutes for a raffle, since I hadn't played golf earlier that day with the boosters, I got in my car and called Goldy, who was in between flights at the Atlanta Airport.  The distance from Woodmont to the Southgate Hess is about 3 minutes tops.  During the entire car ride, I gave Goldy a play-by-play of what Coach Fisher had said and why I liked everything I heard.  I also thanked Goldy about 20 more times for the tickets.

I pulled up to the pump at Hess closest to the front door (and the photo in this blog is exactly where I was on the 7th when I was talking to Goldy).

As we continued to talk, a white Navigator pulled up right next to the curb and out stepped a man from the passenger seat.  I cut Goldy off in mid-sentence.  "GOLDY, You're not going to BELIEVE this.  Jimbo Fisher is walking into the Hess station!"

Goldy thought it was as cool as I did, and I was hoping I would be done pumping my gas before Coach Fisher finished inside so I could approach him and tell him how much I enjoyed his speech.

As I started walking over to the front door, where Coach Fisher was about to come out, I told Goldy, "I am going to try and get Coach to talk to you, so sit tight."

Coach walked out and I gave it my best shot. "Coach, you were great tonight at Woodmont.  I was hoping you could do me a quick favor. My buddy who gave me his tickets to the event because he ended up having to be out of town on business happens to be on the phone with me right now - could you please say hello to him?"

Coach Fisher looked at me for about two seconds like I was out of my mind.  Honestly, I didn't blame him for doing so, and for a guy who had just spoken 45 minutes non-stop, I wouldn't have been upset if he didn't do it.

He then took the phone and did the thing that Goldy and I will be talking about for years to come:

"I wish you could have made it tonight buddy - we missed you!"

Goldy then spent the next 90 seconds speaking to Coach Fisher, who wrapped up their conversation by thanking him for buying the tickets even though he had to give then way and told him he hoped he would be able to support the team in person in Tallahassee this year.  Coach Fisher then gave me my phone back, shook my hand, and was gone in the blink of an eye. 

The second he drove away, I believe the next words out of both my mouth and Goldy's as we spoke on the phone was "AHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHH!"

I STILL can't believe this happened! Here's why I believe in karma and how it paid off for Goldy:

1. My buddy Goldy and his family run a charity event each year that benefits students that want to go to college, and through his tireless efforts, he continually gives back to these kids and their families and never asks for anything in return.

2. Goldy never asked for anything in return for giving me and Tony his tickets - he just wanted them to go to two people who would appreciate seeing Coach Fisher's first speech in Broward County as head coach.

3. I could've gotten gas before the event, but chose not to.

4. I could've been facing University Drive instead of the actual front of the station when Coach arrived - had that happened, I may have never seen him.

5. I had JUST seen Coach Fisher five minutes before he arrived and had taken a photo with him earlier in the night, so I obviously recognized him right away when he got out of the car - had I not been at the banquet, I'm not 100 percent sure I would have realized it was him.

6. Coach Fisher could have simply said no, but instead, he showed a side that has earned him two fans for life no matter what he does at FSU during his tenure.

As we reflected on the story a couple of times over the weekend, we still can't believe it happened.  What sticks with me about the entire incident is that although Goldy would have enjoyed Coach Fisher's 45 minute speech, the 90 seconds he did share with Coach are a minute-and-a-half he will never forget.  I'm just glad my phone didn't die during the call!


2 comments:

Cait said...

What a fabulous story!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

That's cool! My bro went to FSU. And I was born in Tampa! Sure you care about that!