Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Bible of the PR Industry

As my Public Relations career has now reached 8 1/2 years, I received exciting news the other day: I'm featured on a five-person panel in the May 2010 issue of PR Week.  This marks the first time in my PR career I've been included in our industry's "Bible", and I could not be happier.


My inclusion in this article is just an example of something I've always believed in: things happen for a reason.

When I was promoted to Manager of Social Media at the agency I work at at the beginning of March, we sent out a press release about my new position and responsibilities.  One of the publications we sent the release to was PR Week, which, although no longer a weekly publication, is still the industry-leader when it comes to sharing PR stories from around the country.

A writer with their staff contacted me at work one day in late-March to ask me if I was interested in participating in their Master Class panel feature on Social Media for the May issue.  The first thought that came to mind (besides yes) was - timing is everything.  If my title hadn't changed when it did, I may have never gotten this opportunity.

The essential question the reporter asked me was, "How do you best incorporate offline experiences into social media strategy?"

Due to copyright restrictions, while I can't share the content of the story publicly (subscribers to the magazine can access the article in print and online), I will say this: anytime you can engage people online and build value offline, you're doing things the right way.

When the article was released on May 3, I discovered for the first time who the other four panelists were.  To be featured in an article with people who have large social media followings like Todd Defren (@tdefren) and Chad Latz (@chadlatz) is something I will remember for a long time.

As I begin my 3rd month in my new role, I'm so excited of what's to come over the next 8 1/2 years and beyond. Hopefully, the highs will continue to exceed the lows.

2 comments:

jarret said...

Congrats man. Very proud!

Keep it going and lets show the world what Titans can do!

Sara said...

Great job as always babe! Love you!!!